FPV drones mix high-speed flying with speedy route modifications. A key drone configuration choice is the propeller spin route, often called “Props In” and “Props Out.” Understanding these configurations can considerably affect your flying expertise. This text discusses the professionals and cons of every.
What’s “Props In” and “Props Out”?
Props in (often known as “commonplace” rotation): That is the extra conventional configuration the place the propellers on the entrance left and rear proper spin clockwise, and the propellers on the entrance proper and rear left spin counterclockwise. It’s the default in most flight controller software program. And since entrance props spin in the direction of the lens, it’s additionally known as “props in”.
Props out (often known as “reverse” rotation): On this setup, the rotations of all of the propellers are reversed – the entrance proper and rear left propellers spin clockwise, whereas the entrance left and rear proper spin counterclockwise. Because the entrance props spin away from the digital camera lens, It’s often known as “props out”.
Which Is Higher?
Each configurations will take your quad to the sky simply superb, no configuration is inherently superior. However understanding the advantages and drawbacks of every configuration will show you how to make an knowledgeable choice.
Props in Execs:
- Familiarity: Many pilots discover this setup extra intuitive, because it’s the standard and default configuration utilized in most drones and flight controller software program.
Props in Cons:
- Particles on Lens: There’s a better likelihood of particles being thrown in the direction of the digital camera lens, which makes the lens soiled over time
- Prop Wash: Props in configuration can generally result in extra prop wash, the place the drone flies into its personal turbulent air, doubtlessly affecting stability.
Props Out Execs:
- Enhanced Management: The reverse rotation can present higher management, particularly in tight turns. The profit and impact is very noticeable for smaller quadcopters, like tiny whoops and different micro quads with low toque motors.
- Much less Obstruction: Decrease likelihood of obstruction by branches and racing gates, as it will simply bounce off obstacles in collisions.
Props Out Cons:
- Particles on FC/ESC stack: There’s a better likelihood of particles and dust being thrown in the direction of the FC stack
- Adjustment Interval: Pilots accustomed to the usual rotation could require time to adapt to the props out configuration.
- Turtle Mode Concern: If you use turtle mode, the props runs the other way when you’re up aspect down, and so that you usually tend to get your lens soiled.
Making the Selection
The choice relies on private choice and necessities.
For tiny whoops and micro quads, props out is beneficial.
For something bigger than 3″, like a 5″, I’m comfortable to only run the default props in as a result of the advantages in flight traits are much less noticeable. And I don’t need to continually remind myself to re-configure the drone after updating Betaflight. Nevertheless different minor advantages nonetheless stay true comparable to much less dust will get thrown on the lens and fewer more likely to get obstructed by branches and racing gates.
In case your drone largely hovers on the similar spot, like a DJI Mavic does, then props in or props out make little distinction.
Nevertheless, in the event you encounter unusual flight behaviour and points, particularly in cinewhoops, it’s value experimenting with each props in and props out configurations, this usually is the repair.
Tips on how to Reverse Motor Rotation
By default, Betaflight runs “props in”. Some BNF (bind and fly) prebuilt drones may come pre-configured as props out within the manufacturing unit.
To configure your drone to run “props out”, you’ll want to go to Betaflight Configurator, Configurations, below Mixer, allow “Motor route is reversed”.
Then comply with this tutorial to reverse the motor spin route: https://oscarliang.com/change-motor-spin-direction-quadcopter/
Whether or not you select props in or props out, understanding the implications of every setup is vital to optimizing your FPV drone’s efficiency. Each configurations have their deserves and will be efficient in several situations. Finally, it’s about discovering the steadiness that works finest to your model and wishes.
Edit Historical past
- Jun 2017 – Article revealed
- Might 2019 – Up to date information
- Jan 2024 – Up to date information