This gluten-free apple crisp combines soft-baked apples flavored with maple and heat spices and a crumbly oat topping. As an alternative of utilizing all-purpose flour, use a mix of almond meal and oats. Almond meal provides a beautiful texture and scrumptious nutty taste. To maintain the recipe gluten free, be sure you’re utilizing licensed GF oats. It is a great different to my common apple crisp recipe.
This gluten-free apple crisp will take a look at alllll your self management. I initially revealed this recipe again in 2014, and it’s not simply “actually good for a gluten-free recipe.” It’s simply plain REALLY GOOD. Each bit nearly as good as my basic apple crisp recipe! And dare I say even higher as a result of you’ve gotten the fabulous addition of maple syrup. Yum.
Right here’s Why You’ll Love This Gluten-Free Apple Crisp:
- Fast & straightforward: No pre-cooking, chilling, or waiting-for-it-to-cool steps
- Fall-favorite flavors of apple, cinnamon, maple, and brown sugar
- Crumbly, buttery oat and almond crisp topping
- Recipe doubles simply for serving a crowd
- Nobody will imagine it’s gluten free!
I respect how straightforward it’s to organize fruit crisps. Whereas I like fruit pies with my do-it-yourself buttery flaky pie crust, they are often somewhat time consuming. Apple pie is a perpetually favourite dessert, however ready for it to chill will be downright torturous. With this crisp, we will dig proper in whereas it’s nonetheless heat!
Straightforward Apple Filling
- Apples: See under for the most effective apples to make use of. You want 5 cups of peeled, chopped apples, which is about 4 medium/giant apples.
- Lemon Juice: A squeeze of lemon helps brighten up the flavour of the apple filling—it tastes just a little flat with out it.
- Brown Sugar: The molasses content material in brown sugar provides a lot taste because it sweetens. It’s how I sweeten this apple galette, too.
- Maple Syrup: For sweetness with that unequaled maple taste. The apple-maple combo tastes like quintessential fall! Have you ever ever tried my wholesome apple muffins?
- Vanilla Extract: Enhances and enhances all the opposite flavors.
- Cornstarch: This helps the filling thicken because it bakes.
- Spices: Similar to in apple pie, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice add heat and depth of taste to this gluten-free apple crisp.
What Are the Finest Apples to Use for Baking?
Firmer apples are perfect for baking. Keep away from delicate, mealy, and mushy apples. For depth of taste, it’s finest to bake with a mixture of tart and candy apples. For this crisp, I often use 2 tart and a pair of candy.
- Tart apples I like to bake with: Granny Smith (in my view, that is the most effective general apple for baking), Braeburn, Jonathan, and Pacific Rose
- Candy apples I like to bake with: Jazz, Pazazz, Honeycrisp, Pink Girl, and Fuji
Peel & Slice Apples Into Chunks
You possibly can skip peeling the apples if you happen to’d like, however many favor peeled apples in desserts. I take advantage of and love (affiliate hyperlink) this OXO peeler. Numerous crisp recipes use apple slices, however I favor chunks as a result of chunks simply match onto a spoon or fork. It’s additionally tough to get completely uniform slices, so some items will be a lot thinner than others—and meaning mushy apples. 1-inch chunks which are between 1/4 and 1/2 an inch thick are perfect for this gluten-free crisp.
Toss the apple chunks with the remainder of the filling components after which spoon/pour the apple filling right into a 9-inch pie dish or sq. baking pan.
Right here’s What You Want for the Topping
6 components come collectively to make a scrumptious gluten-free topping:
- Brown Sugar: Brown sugar provides a lot taste and softness, and pairs rather well with the maple taste within the filling.
- Oats: Entire rolled/old style oats are finest on this topping. Be certain to search for “licensed gluten free” on the label.
- Almond Meal: This replaces the normal all-purpose flour. Almond meal is just floor almonds (earlier than reaching the stage of almond butter). For those who use blanched almonds and grind them up just a little extra fantastic, you’ll get almond flour. Almond meal has just a little extra texture. You should use almond flour or almond meal; I’ve executed it each methods and both works.
- Cinnamon: A touch of cinnamon within the topping provides much more taste.
- Salt: Sweetness balancer/taste enhancer.
- Butter: Stirring in melted butter is what makes the crisp topping come collectively, all crumbly and scrumptious!
You should purchase almond meal from the shop, but it surely’s very easy to make at residence. Pulse sliced or slivered almonds in a meals processor till the almonds are pulverized. To keep away from the almonds grinding into an oily almond butter because of the processor’s warmth, pulse them with 2 Tablespoons oats. I observe that within the recipe under.
Sprinkle the topping all around the high of the apple filling, and your gluten-free apple crisp is able to bake! No chilling, pre-cooking, cooling, or some other steps that may additional delay the second of bliss while you dig in your spoon for that first chunk.
And naturally, don’t overlook the vanilla ice cream! No apple dessert is full with no scoop of vanilla ice cream on high. And for a juicy pop of colour, sprinkle some recent pomegranate arils on high earlier than serving. (Completely non-compulsory, however look how fairly!) Discuss texture heaven.
Can I Make Different Gluten-Free Fruit Crisps?
Sure, you’ll be able to change the apples with cherries or pears, and even change 1 cup of the apples with recent cranberries. You too can use blueberries or peaches, however scale back the maple syrup within the filling down to three Tablespoons, as a result of each of these fruits get so juicy. Be at liberty to regulate the spices, primarily based on the fruit you’re utilizing.
This gluten-free apple crisp combines soft-baked apples flavored with maple and heat spices and a crumbly oat topping. As an alternative of utilizing all-purpose flour, use a mix of almond meal and oats. Almond meal provides a beautiful texture and scrumptious nutty taste. To maintain the recipe gluten free, be sure you’re utilizing licensed GF oats. It’s not simply “actually good for a gluten-free recipe.” It’s simply plain REALLY GOOD.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Grease a 9-inch pie dish, cake pan, or sq. baking pan. Put aside.
- Filling: Stir all the filling components collectively in a big bowl. Be certain the apples are evenly coated. Unfold evenly into ready pan.
- Topping: Whisk the brown sugar, oats, and almond meal collectively. Break up any giant clumps of brown sugar. Whisk within the cinnamon and salt. As soon as mixed, stir within the melted butter. Sprinkle topping over the apples and end with a number of slivered or sliced almonds (non-compulsory).
- Bake for 35–40 minutes or till the submitting is bubbly, the apples are just a little delicate, and the topping is browned. If it appears to be like just like the topping is browning too rapidly, cowl the highest loosely with aluminum foil about midway by way of baking time. Permit to chill for five–10 minutes earlier than serving.
- High with pomegranate arils, if utilizing, and serve with vanilla ice cream.
- Cowl leftovers and retailer within the fridge for as much as 5 days.
- Make Forward & Freezing Directions: Observe steps 2 and three within the recipe, then cowl the crisp and freeze for as much as 2 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge, then bake as directed.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): 9-inch Pie Dish, 9-inch Spherical Cake Pan, or 9-inch Sq. Baking Pan | Glass Mixing Bowls | Whisk | Rubber Spatula | Vegetable Peeler
- Apples: You need about 5 cups (about 600g) chopped apple chunks. For finest taste, use a mixture of tart and candy varieties, corresponding to 2 tart Granny Smiths and a pair of apples of a sweeter selection like Honeycrisp, Pink Girl, or Fuji.
- Maple Syrup: Delivers a lot taste. And makes the apple filling further juicy and gooey. Don’t depart it out!
- Almond Meal: You should use store-bought almond meal or almond flour, or you may make your personal. Begin with 1/2 cup slivered or sliced almonds. Pulse them, together with 2 Tablespoons of the 1 cup oats known as for on this recipe, in a meals processor till a crumbly meal has fashioned. Don't run the meals processor repeatedly; it's possible you'll find yourself with almond butter. Fast pulses are finest. You'll find yourself with about 1/2 cup almond meal.
Key phrases: gluten free apple crisp