This traditional beef stew is the perfect dinner for a cold weekend. Beef, carrots, potatoes, onion, celery, peas, and mushrooms come collectively in concord, creating a comfy, comforting meal.
Finest Beef Stew
Because the climate cools I crave consolation meals meals like a bowl of this conventional beef stew. It boasts tender chunks of prime chuck roast simmered with hearty Yukon gold potatoes, vibrant carrots, celery, and mushrooms in a richly flavored gravy. Including peas on the finish gives a burst of colour and a touch of sweetness to this traditional, comforting dish. Extra beef stew recipes you might also love are this Beef Stew with Pumpkin, Mexican Beef Stew, and my Colombian beef stew, Carne Guisada.
Beef Stew Elements
- Broth: You’ll want three cups of low-sodium beef broth.
- Flour: Use all-purpose or gluten-free flour to thicken the stew. A cornstarch slurry would additionally work, however I want flour.
- Tomato Paste provides a wealthy taste.
- Salt and Pepper to season the stew
- Beef Stew Meat: I want prime beef, which is greater high quality than selection or choose beef. Begin with a three-pound boneless beef chuck roast. When you trim the fats and minimize it into one-inch cubes, you must have about two and a half kilos.
- Potatoes: Peel and cube Yukon gold potatoes into one-inch items. Russet potatoes or pink potatoes would additionally work.
- Carrots: Slice three to 4 medium carrots into half-inch thick diagonal items.
- Celery: Chop three celery ribs.
- Onion: Minimize one medium onion into half-inch items.
- Mushrooms: Clear and quarter 4 ounces of white button mushrooms.
- Herbs: Use three sprigs of contemporary thyme and two bay leaves.
- Peas: Add a half cup of frozen peas on the finish.
The right way to Make Beef Stew
- Broth: Mix the broth, flour, tomato paste, salt, and pepper in a blender till clean.
- Brown the Beef: Warmth a big Dutch oven on the stove-top over excessive warmth, spray with oil, and brown the meat on all sides in two batches. Take away the meat from the pot and put aside.
- Greens: Add the carrots, celery, and onions and cook dinner for 5 minutes. Return the meat to the pot with any juices. Add the potatoes, mushrooms, thyme, bay leaves, and broth.
- Prepare dinner Stew: Cowl the pot and bake for 2 and a half hours at 375°F. (After two hours, test that there’s sufficient liquid.) As soon as the meat and veggies are fork-tender, take away the Dutch oven from the oven, discard the herbs, and stir within the peas. Style the stew and add extra salt if wanted.
What’s the secret to good stew?
- High quality of Beef: Selecting the best minimize of beef is paramount. For beef stew, utilizing a minimize like a main chuck roast, which has a very good steadiness of meat and connective tissue, can lead to tender chunks of beef when cooked slowly.
- Browning: Searing or browning the meat earlier than stewing develops a wealthy depth of taste because of the Maillard response. It additionally offers the stew a very good colour.
- Layering Flavors: Constructing flavors by browning the onions, garlic, and greens earlier than including liquids is crucial. Herbs, each dried and contemporary, additionally add complexity to the stew’s taste.
What to Serve with Beef Stew
Beef stew with potatoes is a filling meal by itself. If you wish to serve it with one thing, listed here are a couple of concepts:
- Crusty bread to absorb the thick broth
- A easy salad, like this one with romaine
- A inexperienced veggie, like Brussels sprouts or roasted broccoli
The right way to take advantage of tender stew?
Making probably the most tender stew entails a number of methods and concerns, each within the selection of components and within the cooking course of:
- Select the Proper Minimize of Meat: Go for cuts of meat with a mixture of muscle and connective tissue, like chuck roast or beef shank. These cuts break down over prolonged cooking, making the meat tender and including richness to the broth.
- Browning Is Important: Earlier than stewing, brown the meat chunks on all sides in a scorching pan. Browning builds taste and helps seal within the meat’s juices.
- Low and Sluggish Cooking: Slowly simmering the stew at a low temperature permits the collagen within the meat to interrupt down slowly with out drying it out. Prolonged cooking at a mild simmer makes the meat comfortable and tender.
- Use Sufficient Liquid: You need the broth or cooking liquid to largely cowl the meat to make sure even cooking and forestall the meat from drying out.
Storage and Freezer
This simple beef stew is ideal for meal prep because it makes a lot. Leftovers will hold for as much as 4 days. It’s additionally freezes splendidly. Retailer it in an hermetic container and freeze it for as much as 3 months. Thaw it within the fridge in a single day and heat on the range or microwave.
Extra Stew Recipes You’ll Love
Yield: 6 servings
Serving Measurement: 1 1/2 cups (scant)
Preheat oven to 375F.
Mix broth, flour, tomato paste, 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper in a blender and mix till clean.
Warmth a big Dutch oven over excessive warmth, spray with oil and brown the meat on all sides in two batches. Set beef apart, then spray the pot once more. Add the carrots, celery and onions and brown, stirring about 5 minutes. Return the meat to the pot with any juices.
Add the potatoes, mushrooms, thyme and bay leaves and pour the broth on high. Cowl and bake 2 1/2 hours, (test to make sure it has sufficient liquid after 2 hours) till the meat and greens are tender.
Take away from oven, discard the thyme and bay leaves, stir within the peas and allow them to sit 1 minute till heated via. Style for salt and regulate as wanted.
Please depart a ranking and remark letting us know the way you favored this recipe! This helps our enterprise to thrive and proceed offering free, high-quality recipes for you.
Serving: 1 1/2 cups (scant), Energy: 439 kcal, Carbohydrates: 20.5 g, Protein: 40.5 g, Fats: 22 g, Saturated Fats: 9.5 g, Ldl cholesterol: 130.5 mg, Sodium: 482.5 mg, Fiber: 4 g, Sugar: 7.5 g