Welcome to the most important metropolis in Bavaria and the third largest metropolis in Germany! Munich is a fantastic metropolis filled with grand squares, outdated, majestic buildings with orange roofs and cobbled streets that lead you to one thing new to discover each time. This metropolis at all times buzzes with life and tradition, and the folks of Munich are tremendous pleasant and down-to-earth, which is a welcome feat in a metropolis this dimension. And Munich in winter is a wonderful cold-weather vacation spot!
The Christmas markets unfold everywhere in the metropolis are among the greatest on the earth. Sure, it may possibly get very chilly, however there’s at all times a heat and comfy beer corridor across the nook with a number of Bavarian meals and beer…and beer…and beer…and beer (*change off echo*).
Listed here are 14 magical issues to do in Munich in winter. Warning: these actions could contain beer!
Psst: Planning a European winter journey? Listed here are another posts that will help you out:
Oh hey, guess what? We’ve created a printable e-book model of our Winter Europe Itineraries fo’ free! It’s a strong 30 pages of journey suggestions, printable packing lists, and all of the itinerary particulars it is advisable to plan a Europe in winter journey. Join under & we’ll ship it straight to your inbox:
How chilly does it get in Munich?
F*cking chilly! I’m not kidding! It’s not like going to the North Pole, however one way or the other I by no means consider Germany as being that chilly in winter. It at all times catches me abruptly and I find yourself shopping for heat layers that I may’ve simply packed at dwelling (Most likely says extra about myself than the climate.)
Common winter temperatures vary between 27ºF and 39ºF. See, that’s not too chilly, proper? That is the place I am going incorrect. One way or the other it at all times feels colder in Germany! Should be the wind chill issue or the mountains or location or stuff like that (I might be such a great climate man!). It typically snows in Munich in winter too. Come ready!
How do I get round Munich in winter?
The Outdated City of Munich could be very walkable, however I don’t blame you if you wish to use public transport to discover the remainder. Bear in mind, it’s very chilly! Fortunately public transport is clear, heat, in all places and just about at all times on time.
There are 4 modes of public transport within the metropolis of Munich:
- S-Bahn – Quick for Strassenbahn, that is the community of native trains that journey between stations inside the metropolis. There are eight traces. The S1 and S8 take you from the airport into town middle.
- U-Bahn – Quick for Untergrundbahn, or underground. There are eight underground traces that run between stations in and across the metropolis. There are round 100 stations, so you will get to just about wherever shortly.
- Buses – You may get buses to journey across the metropolis and see one thing on the similar time. There are evening buses, for when the U-Bahn and S-Bahn are closed and also you miraculously obtained caught in a beer corridor (beer tasting for scientific causes, huh?).
- Trams – Just like buses, the trams join the routes between the U-Bahn and S-Bahn. There are evening trams too.
Do I would like to talk German?
Not essentially. Most individuals in Munich communicate English, so you’d be advantageous. I at all times assume it’s good to be taught a couple of German phrases although. Locals admire it! Right here’s some helpful vocabulary:
- Hallo – Howdy
- Guten Morgen/Tag/Abend – Good morning/day/night
- Bitte – Please
- Danke – Thanks
- Entschuldigung – Sorry
- Ja – Sure
- Nein – No
- Ich hätte gerne zehn Biere bitte! – I’d like 10 beers please!
Issues to do in Munich in Winter
Now you’re ready to journey to Bavaria, don’t neglect to take a look at these 14 superb issues to do in Munich in winter.
Go to the Christmas markets
All of us love a Christmas market, proper? Effectively, so do the folks of Munich! In December you’ll discover greater than 20 Christmas markets everywhere in the metropolis. The most important and most well-known is the Christkindlmarkt on Marienplatz, one in every of Munich’s well-known squares. The historical past of the Christkindlmarkt dates again to the 14th century, albeit below totally different names and places. (Yeah, does that also rely then? Both means, it’s very outdated!)
You’ll be able to’t miss this Christmas market. An 80 ft Christmas tree towers above the quite a few stalls with conventional picket Christmas decorations, handmade German Christmas playing cards, mulled wine (that is the place I got here throughout white mulled wine for the primary time, and the second time, and the third time…), embellished lebkuchen (gingerbread) in all sizes, and meals. Oh, the meals!
Extra about Bavarian meals later, however you will discover so many conventional Christmas meals which you could’t attempt all of them. The meals is usually filling, so include an urge for food. Ones it is best to positively attempt at a Christmas market are:
- Stollen – German stollen are dense loaves of bread, with dried fruit and nuts. You should buy slices of them, typically coated with powdered sugar, or purchase an entire loaf to take dwelling. A few of them have almond paste in them, which is superb!
- Schneeballen – This interprets as snowballs. They’re ball-shaped pastries coated in sugar. You’ll find them with all kinds of toppings. Coated in chocolate, nuts or cinnamon, to call a couple of. (Simply please, please don’t eat yellow snowballs!)
- Lebkuchen – These conventional gingerbread cookies, superbly embellished by hand, are scrumptious! They’re not just like the crunchy ones we all know. Lebkuchen are thicker and have a chewiness that makes you come again for extra!
Among the greatest Christmas markets in Munich are:
- Christkindlmarkt – The most important, oldest and most well-known. It’s on Marienplatz from the top of November till Christmas.
- Kripperlmarkt – The “Crib Market” is a Christmas Market the place you should buy something to make your individual nativity scene. Or purchase an entire, handmade one! From the top of November till Christmas, in entrance of St. Peter’s church, a stone’s throw from Marienplatz.
- Sternenplatzl am Rindermarkt – The polar reverse of Christkindlmarkt when it comes to dimension. It is a small market, however filled with environment. The 40 ft Schlemmerpyramide is the middle of the market. It’s a spinning tower with collectible figurines, that appears prefer it jumped straight out of a Christmas fairytale.
Journey the Christmas tram
Expertise Christmas on the transfer! The Christkindlt Tram is a particular Christmas tram which you could trip. It departs from Sendlinger Tor – which is a surprising outdated metropolis gate – and takes you across the outdated city with its Christmas lights and decorations. If it snows, this trip is even higher! It’s like driving by way of an enormous wintery snow globe! (With out the water in fact, as a result of that might make this tram trip a merciless expertise! Nobody is shaking you both. Don’t fear!)
The tram trip takes about half an hour and takes you again to Sendlinger Tor. Positively an expertise I can suggest. The environment is nice contained in the tram, with music and Christmas lights. Oh, I forgot the most effective factor about it…you’re allowed to convey your mug of mulled wine on board!
This tram trip is extraordinarily well-liked and it solely prices a couple of Euros, so count on to queue for a bit. It leaves each half-hour and runs between the top of November and Christmas. Purchase your ticket if you get on the tram.
Attempt among the greatest winter-warming Bavarian meals
Each time I eat German meals, and particularly Bavarian meals, I can’t assist however assume it’s simply good for both actually chilly days, or to go along with ingesting huge quantities of beer (A conventional Bavarian breakfast is veal sausage with mustard and a beer, as a hangover remedy. Want I say extra?). Bavarian meals is usually meaty, filled with carbs, or each. Irrespective of which conventional meals you tuck into in Munich in winter, it would fill you up and preserve you heat. It’s the kind of meals it is advisable to lie down after! (Or perhaps I’m simply extremely lazy). Both means, it’s very tasty and satisfying!
5 Bavarian meals you could attempt in Munich in winter:
- Münchner Weisswurst – This pale veal and pork sausage with scrumptious herbs is the delight of Munich. You recognize German Bratwurst, proper? In my view, a weisswurst with a little bit of candy mustard is even higher! You eat them from the grill, on a roll or by itself. Attempt a Bavarian breakfast – Weisswurst boiled in salty water, with a little bit of mustard and a pretzel (and a beer, critically!). I attempted the most effective weisswurst at Gaststätte Großmarkthalle.
- Leberkäse – This interprets to liver cheese (nonetheless feeling okay?). The humorous factor is that there’s no cheese on this concoction. No liver both. (Sure, I used to be as puzzled as you at the moment are.) Simply attempt it! It’s principally a meatloaf made with various kinds of meat. It’s typically served sliced on a semmelbrötchen (crusty roll) and completely scrumptious. Zum Franziskaner on Opernplatz has the most effective leberkäse I’ve tried!
- Spätzle – Munich’s model of mac and cheese! Spätzle are noodles constructed from egg, flour and salt. They don’t should relaxation, like pasta, in order that they make them recent and cook dinner them. They’re served with a powerful cheese sauce, herbs and fried onion and are a preferred staple in Munich in winter. Zum Brunnstein serves cheese spätzle with mushrooms and schnitzel like no different!
- Pretzel – You recognize the bow-shaped little crunchy snacks you get known as pretzels? The normal pretzels from Munich sh*t throughout these dry salty issues. Bavarian pretzels are big, like the scale of a plate. They’re encrusted with rock salt, crunchy on the skin and gentle and chewy on the within. I’ll have one any day, and so do the folks of Munich! You’ll find them wherever, typically freshly baked.
- Obazda – Oh-what-da? Obazda is a Bavarian cheese unfold that goes extremely nicely with pretzels. I used to love pretzels on their very own, till I attempted this! Obazda is made by mixing two-thirds of sturdy cheese – like camembert – with one-third of butter. It’s then spiced with scorching paprika powder, salt and pepper…and beer (You’ve obtained to like German beer tradition!). Eat the unfold with pretzels and a beer on the aspect. You’ll be able to order it in most Bavarian eating places.
Have a beer or two on the Hofbräuhaus
You might have discovered by now that folks in Munich like beer. Residence of the world-famous Oktoberfest, this metropolis has beer working by way of its veins. Widespread native breweries are Paulaner, Augustiner, Löwenbrau and Hofbrau. Guess which one is served on the Hofbräuhaus? The Hofbräuhaus is a well-known beer corridor come restaurant like you’ll solely discover in Munich.
Huge beer halls downstairs, smaller rooms upstairs, all with a picket inside. It’s so heat and comfy in winter. The massive halls nearly really feel like a medieval feast. Lengthy tables, complete roasted chickens and pork knuckles, liter-glasses of beer. The primary time I walked in right here I noticed an older girl mendacity on the ground who very clearly had means an excessive amount of beer! Fairly wild!
If that is all a bit too wild for you, I might reserve a desk in one of many smaller rooms upstairs, the place it feels way more like being in a restaurant. In order for you an Oktoberfest-like expertise, put in your lederhosen or dirndl and go to the halls! You may also ebook a tour of the Hofbräuhaus, to dive deeper into the historical past of the beer corridor and beer making, and luxuriate in a beer with it!
Have a Go at Curling on a Frozen Canal
A weighted stone, a goal, utmost focus, a wonderfully measured glide, launch…and folks with brooms sweeping the ice in entrance of the stone. With regards to sports activities, it doesn’t get extra thrilling than this, proper? (Sarcasm mode OFF) Okay, curling won’t be probably the most thrilling factor on the earth, however have you ever ever tried it? Didn’t assume so! Life is all about new experiences, so give it a shot.
Curling in Munich in winter is definitely actually thrilling! It’s all in regards to the location. The Schlossgartenkanal, a big canal that runs round and comes off Nymphenburg Palace, shouldn’t be very deep. This implies it typically freezes over in winter! As soon as it does, the information spreads shortly round Munich and folks leap on the alternative to play on the straight, 1/2 mile lengthy ice rink.
The frozen canal is used for strolling, ice skating and ice hockey too, however curling is hottest. Rent a curling stone, seize a scorching mug of mulled wine and have a sport on one of many 40 pop-up curling lanes!
Heat Up in a Spa
Munich in winter will be bitter chilly, so chilling in a scorching sauna is a superb concept! The town provides some nice amenities at a fair higher worth. Pampering your self in a spa and sauna is often fairly costly, however not in Munich. There are two huge complexes within the metropolis, known as Nordbad (North Pool) and Südbad (South Pool, that are each run by town council (and each named by the identical artistic genius). Each Nordbad and Südbad mix inexpensive public swimming swimming pools with superb saunas and aromatherapy rooms.
The saunas and heated indoor and outside swimming swimming pools -some with views of the city- are a intelligent solution to really feel heat and relaxed on the similar time. All it is advisable to pay for is $7.00 for a single entry that offers you entry to all amenities. Please be aware that you’re anticipated to be bare in saunas in Germany. Don’t fear, it would solely really feel unusual for five minutes, then you definitely’re used to it. (Simply please, don’t leap into the swimming pool bare.)
The very best saunas in Munich are:
- Nordbad – For over 80 years, Nordbad has been the place to go for a swim or sauna session for the local people of Munich. Swim exterior whereas the snow falls in your hair (or head, when you don’t have hair).
- Südbad – The youthful sister of Nordbad. Südbad doesn’t really feel as grand as Nordbad, but it surely provides you the same expertise in a calmer and smaller bundle. I really like the indoor pool’s glass wall, so it feels such as you’re exterior (however with out a freezing chilly head).
- Müller’sches Volksbad – This one’s particular. I used to be amazed by the Artwork Nouveau constructing, which is over 100 years outdated. The Volksbad is a baroque expertise, with two swimming pools, a Finnish sauna, steam room and a Roman-Irish sweat bathtub (They may need to rename this one! So many questions!)
Get a birds-eye view of Munich in winter
In case you may teleport straight into Munich and stroll across the metropolis, you wouldn’t have any concept in regards to the lovely environment of this metropolis. You don’t actually see the Alps if you’re within the metropolis, however they’re proper there. To see them, it is advisable to go up. Howdy, Olympic Tower!
You’ll find this needle-like tower in Olympiapark. With 291 meters (954 ft), that is the tallest constructing in Munich. There’s a viewing platform at 181 meters (593 ft) and it takes you 4 months to climb up…No I’m joking, there’s an elevator and it takes you there in 30 seconds. That’s quick! (Means too quick for me, however I belief in German engineering).
I’ve been up right here in summer season and winter, however I feel the winter view is greatest. Particularly when town is roofed in snow, with the white countryside within the north, and the majestic mountains of the Alps within the south. It makes you are feeling all Christmassy and comfy (and chilly, very chilly!). There’s a revolving restaurant below the viewing platform. A! Revolving! Restaurant! It does a 360º flip in 50 minutes. Have I already talked about that I really like German engineering?
Climb up Peterskirche
If the Olympic Tower is a bit too excessive for you, or when you simply really feel like climbing 300 wonky picket steps for the hell of it, go up St. Peter’s Church. It’s a little bit of a climb, however when you’re on the roof of the church, you’ll be handled to some spectacular metropolis views.
Wanting over the standard orange roof tops, in winter you possibly can see Marienplatz, with all of the lights from the Christmas market. It’s even higher when it snows, and the orange roofs have a white dusting on them. It provides you an concept of the format of town. You may also clearly see that this well-known sq. is the middle of Munich, the place folks have been gathering for the reason that twelfth century!
Climbing to the highest of Peterskirche solely prices a couple of Euros. You’ll be able to solely pay in money, so preserve a couple of cash in your pocket for this exercise.
Have an ice bathtub within the river Isar
Have you ever ever walked previous a river on an ice-cold winter’s day pondering: “I’m wondering what it seems like to leap in proper now?” Then this exercise is for you! It includes freezing chilly water, you plunging in, and balls of metal. What it doesn’t contain, is a wetsuit to maintain you heat. All the time wished to do that? (Yeah, me neither). Have an ice bathtub within the Isar!
The individuals who manage this exercise in Munich in winter are known as Munich Sizzling Springs, and I can’t consider something extra sarcastic on this world! This ice-bathing lot will information you thru your chilly dip. It begins with some respiratory workouts and so they gives you recommendation on how one can put together. Then they’ll go in with you.
Munich Sizzling Springs is a neighborhood in Munich that meets each Sunday morning in winter at 11:00, for a refreshing ice-bath. You’ll find extra information on their web site, the place you could find a cellphone quantity to hitch their WhatsApp group. That is just for skilled freeze-a-holics. If it’s your first time, they may manage a one-on-one with you and an teacher. All it is advisable to do is ship them an electronic mail to ask about costs and appointments.
Folks have been ice-bathing for hundreds of years and it’s believed to strengthen your immune system, provide help to burn extra energy and relieve stress. I personally assume it simply makes you are feeling f*cking chilly, however every to their very own. It should really feel superb when it’s executed!
Go snowboarding on Zugspitze
Munich is a particular metropolis, because it’s positioned so near the pre-Alps. This implies you possibly can keep within the largest metropolis within the south of Germany, and nonetheless go snowboarding for a day. So when you’re planning on staying a bit longer in Munich with a while spare to discover exterior town, I can actually suggest going to Zugspitze.
Zugspitze is true on the German-Austrian border and is the closest ski resort to Munich. You will be there in about two hours from town, by practice and cable automotive. There are literally three ski areas with their very own community of ski lifts: Zugspitze, Garmisch-Traditional and Wank (I want I used to be joking!). Or Mount Wank in order for you the longer model. The cable automotive as much as Wank is known as the Wankbahn. There’s additionally a Wank Restaurant (Okay, I’ll cease now).
Zugspitze has all of the amenities you possibly can count on from a giant ski resort, so you possibly can rent tools and discover eating places and bars in all places. The views of the encompassing mountains are breathtaking. I want I may say snowboarding close to Munich in winter is wank, however that might be each a lie and a nasty joke.
Go for a winter stroll in Englischer Garten
Englischer Garten (English Backyard) is a giant park proper within the metropolis. It’s larger than Central Park in NYC! It has two well-known landmarks. The Monopteros is a 50 ft temple on a hill. The Chinesischer Turm, is a Chinese language tower that appears like a tall pagoda. There’s additionally a Japanese tea home! As you possibly can think about, the grassy areas round these monuments are good for picnics in summer season.
Nonetheless, I favor to go to this park in winter, when the grass and footpaths are coated in snow. The hill the Monopteros sits on, instantly turns into a downhill sled observe. Did you not pack a sled in your suitcase? (I assumed you packed for Munich in winter! Poor effort!) I discovered a plastic bag will do the trick! There’s a small however pretty Christmas market across the Chinese language tower, which is lit up for the event.
Seize a mulled wine and go for a stroll alongside the small lake within the park. Or throughout it, because it typically freezes over in winter. Watch folks surf within the river that flows by way of the park, even in winter. There’s a speedy within the river, the place you possibly can surf on the spot. A bit like a type of wave machines, however pure. Give it a attempt when you’re courageous with this tour which features a surfboard and bodysuit. (A minimum of when you fall in, you possibly can scrap the ice-bathing exercise off your checklist!).
See Munich’s Glockenspiel Present
It doesn’t matter what you’re doing in Munich in winter, be sure you’re on Marienplatz at 11:00 am or 12:00 pm to see the glockenspiel. This well-known glockenspiel is within the clock tower of the Rathaus on Marienplatz. It’s a mechanical present with bells enjoying tunes and transferring collectible figurines. The Munich glockenspiel is greater than 100 years outdated.
At 11:00 am and midday it begins enjoying 4 tunes and the collectible figurines begin transferring. The tunes change each month. In December it performs Christmas tunes, like Oh Tannenbaum. It provides an additional sprinkle of Christmas to the Christkindlmarkt.
Go to Cinderella’s fortress
Have you ever watched Cinderella? (Is there anybody who hasn’t?) Then you could know she lives in a fortress that appears a bit like – nicely – Cinderella’s fortress. One other fortress that appears like Cinderella’s fortress is Neuschwanstein (or New Swan Stone). Okay, let’s cease translating German names into English because it doesn’t make any sense!
Coincidence? Probably not, as Walt Disney’s inspiration for Cinderella’s fortress was Neuschwanstein! I visited this lovely fortress in winter, when the panorama was coated in snow, and it simply regarded completely spectacular! This fortress was constructed on the ruins of Schwanstein by Ludwig II, king of Bavaria. He wished to construct a fortress on this lovely spot, within the romantic type of outdated German knights’ castles. It was completed in 1880.
Now, Neuschwanstein Fortress shouldn’t be precisely in Munich. You’ll discover it in Schwangau, which is about two hours by practice from Munich. I do know that’s not across the nook, however if you’re in Munich in winter and you’ve got time for a day tour, I feel you shouldn’t miss out on this one.
You’ll be able to ebook a day tour from Munich, or get tickets for Neuschwanstein Fortress and make your means there by practice your self. Take the practice from Munich to Füssen, then bus 73 or 78 to Hohenschwangau.
In case you go to Munich in February, you’re in luck! Fasching is what the folks of Munich name their carnival. There are small, typically enclosed occasions all year long, however in February all of it culminates into huge avenue occasions.
There’s a huge open-air occasion known as Narrisch within the metropolis middle, with music levels on Marienplatz and Karlsplatz-Stachus. See some dance and music teams carry out right here. On Shrove Tuesday one other huge occasion takes place: the dance of the market girls. That is on the Viktualienmarkt meals market (you possibly can ebook a gourmand meals tour right here if that’s your factor). Usually the stalls promote fruit and greens, however for this event they promote beer, glowing wine and mulled wine.
The parade of the Damische Ritter (Foolish Knights) takes place on a Sunday in mid-February. This huge carnival parade is a procession with floats, dressed-up folks, dance, music and (that is Munich in any case) a number of beer and Bavarian meals! Oh Munich, what a incredible metropolis you’re!
The place to Keep in Munich in Winter
Undoubtedly, the most effective space to remain in Munich in winter is in Altstadt, the outdated city. It’s the most effective location, since you’re proper within the coronary heart of town, and you may simply stroll to the well-known sights and squares of town (it’s additionally a really brief stumble from the beer corridor to your resort.). Staying in a main location comes at a worth, though Munich inns are fairly inexpensive in comparison with most well-known European cities. Nonetheless, it’s greatest to remain simply exterior of Altstadt, which may prevent cash, plus you’re nonetheless within the metropolis centre.
Listed here are some suggestions for inns close to or in Altstadt in Munich:
- Motel One Sendlinger Tor – There are a couple of of those inns in several places in Munich. Usually I don’t suggest chains, however these inns aren’t too costly and truly look nice inside, like a pleasant boutique resort. The one in Sendlinger Tor is closest to the Outdated City. Rooms begin at round $120 an evening.
- Metropolis Lodge Lux – If you wish to be proper within the metropolis centre – and I imply a stone’s throw from Marienplatz and the Hofbräuhaus beer corridor – that is good for you! It could possibly get a bit noisy, however a minimum of you’re proper in the midst of it. The resort is snug and the restaurant and bar have one of many coolest designs I’ve seen. Rooms begin at round $110 an evening.
- Lodge am Markt – Are you aware these inns that aren’t very memorable, however the rooms are clear and cozy? Lodge am Markt at Viktualienmarkt is a type of (I imply this in a pleasant means). It’s a resort that’s good for a metropolis journey, with out making an attempt too onerous. Location is prime, too! Costs from $100 per room per evening.
Writer Bio: David Breeker is a journey author with over 20 years expertise within the tourism & leisure trade. He lived in Switzerland for 8 years, typically hopping throughout the border to get pleasure from Munich’s Christmas markets and beer!
Which of those actions in Munich in winter do you need to do first? Tell us under!
Psst: Planning a European winter journey? Listed here are another posts that will help you out:
Psst: Save this put up for afterward Pinterest!